Sunday 21 August 2011

Step and kick and summer's nearly over!

This is the final interview before we're back into the swing of rehearsal for our wonderful show. 
The lovely Kim, who agreed to speak to me last week, has been a member of BCOS since 2002. That was the point at which she discovered dancing. "I'd never done it before," she confesses, "but I really liked it!" Consequently, even before Kim went to see the show as performed in Abingdon, she wanted to be one of the Hot Box Girls. "Preferably Adelaide, but when there are seven people auditioning for one role, you know that six of them are going to be disappointed." Kim is pleased, however, with the alternate role she has been given, that of Mimi. "She has three lines," she beams. And has she learnt them? "I hadn't when we made the appointment for the interview, but I have now!"  Those who were wondering about talking to me, clearly interviews have their uses!

Kim is very much looking forward to being one of the Hot Box Girls, although she doesn't yet know who will be the Dance Captain. "There are a few adults this year, whereas last year there were more teenagers to keep up with."  She doesn't mind having all the teenagers to work with, she says it keeps her young.

So, the lines are learned, what about the singing and the dancing? "I've had singing lessons with Martin, and I've worked with him in his role as Chorus Master of Stowe Opera, so I know the songs will be fine," Kim says.  As for the dancing, so far she only has the steps that she learned for the audition, which form a large part of the dance for 'Take Back Your Mink', and Kim thinks she needs to practise them again.  She too uses driving time for rehearsal, though in Kim's case, she just  visualises the steps to the music in the car, which is probably just as well. "I'm also doing exercises with high kicks via an iPhone app." It is perhaps no surprise that Kim is using a hi-tech approach to learning her part, given her job as Development Editor for e-products with a medical electronic publishing company.  She may be resorting to eBay for help too; "Ali said before the auditions that we would be dancing in 3 inch heels so I need some size 2 shoes with high heels for practice purposes, in case anyone out there can help," Kim tells me.  I was going to offer her some of my high heels until she mentioned the size 2 angle.

Like Tim, Kim is really looking forward to the show itself, being on stage and showing off what she's been rehearsing all this time.  I asked if there was anything she wasn't looking forward to, thinking the costume might get a mention. "I was doing belly-dancing for Launton Village Players, so a bodice and fishnets won't be a problem - I shall probably be more covered up!" Kim laughs as she recalls her most recent stage appearance.  Nothing in this show holds any fears for her. And then - on to the next production!

No comments:

Post a Comment